Family reconciliation is the process by which an estranged parent is reintroduced into the family through mediated conversations and structured activities. It is done collaboratively by a trained mediator. The goal is to unite parents and children through a step by step process involving court agents and other professionals in creating positive family interactions.
The role of Break Through Learning Center is to provide a safe, structured environment with trained facilitators. The Center specializes in parents reuniting with their children after an extended amount of time as part of a temporary or permanent parenting plan.
10-Steps to Reconciliation
- Collect a retainer fee to begin contacting and scheduling parent consultations.
- Begin initial consultations with parents.
- Document review, background information and collateral comments.
- Agree with both parents on goals for the reconciliation process and design a temporary timeline.
- Implement the first step of the plan which may mean meeting separately with the child/ren and/or with a parent/s.
- Implement the plan adding mediated, negotiated and free conversations with supervised activities between child/ren and parent.
- Interview the parent to evaluate progress and adjust if needed for future visits.
- Continue sessions followed by feedback and evaluations.
- Agreeing on an end date goal when all steps of the plan are completed and no recommendation for further sessions are made.
- Provide notes and updates to family members, court officials and other professionals with final closing statements.
Fees and Guarantees
The Retainer for Family Reconciliation is $15,000 which includes mediation sessions including contact with the parents, parent counsels, the child/ren, and collateral contacts; written correspondence including email; document review; travel time, court appearances and depositions; also includes a minimum monthly charge billed for admin fees and final report.